Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Ultimate Gift

Have you ever watched a movie that totally inspired you? I just watched The Ultimate Gift and it did just that--I know, kind of sappy and really cliched, but it's true. The movie brought me to tears as the main character had to learn about different gifts--the value of work, friendship, money, laughter, and family to name a few. I am in agreement with the film's writer, those are all gifts but the ultimate gift to all of us is the gift of life in Christ Jesus. I am so thankful for my salvation and even more thankful that nothing in this world can change or compromise my eternal life. I am thankful for the gift of enjoyment that God has so richly and generously bestowed upon me. In honor of the enjoyment I have been given, I am going to list some things that I enjoy...may God be honored in this list for He has blessed me with them all.

-Sunsets (in Arizona, Florida and anywhere in between)
-I selfishly enjoy the silence that envelops me when I wake before anyone else
-Working--indoors, outdoors, it doesn't matter; there's a lot to be said for something earned through your own sweat
-Food: eating it, talking about it , reading about it and even thinking about it
-Listening to my niece Gracie learn to talk
-Watching my nephew Pete run from the fridge to the couch in the living room (he learned this game from his elder siblings)
-Holding Jake on my lap when he reads to me
-Seeing Dylan smile her toothless smile
-The smell of a horse after a long day's work
-The smell of freshly cut grass
-The smell of sunblock--oh it brings back memories of my childhood
-Morning chats with my mom
-Cooking with Gretchen (my sister-in-law)
-Watching my mom and dad together now that all of us kids are grown and out of the house
-Receiving a letter from Martin, my Compassion kiddo
-Knowing I share my heart for God with someone
-Preparing food to serve others
-The intoxicating smell of coffee
-Watching Gator football and Wildcat basketball
-Grocery shopping
-Eating hamburgers and sandwiches with one hand
-Scrapbooking
-Those little cartons of milk that you got to drink out of in elementary school
-An unexpected hug from a student

“But be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.”
1 Samuel 12:24

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a big smile on my face and I think you know why! Nice post.

-Brian