1 devil's food cake mix (I go for the $1 boxes - since I'm not saving calories on this, I figure I should save some cash while I shop.)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups chopped peanut butter cups (plus more for garnishing)
8 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Line with wax paper and coat paper.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, and vegetable oil on low for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides after 1 minutes. Fold in 2 cups of the chopped peanut butter cups.
- Pour batter into pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cakes completely.
- Place chopped dark chocolate in a medium bowl. Bring cream to a boil and then pour over chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate melts. Add peanut butter and whisk until smooth.
- Trim each cake layer so the tops are flat. Place one layer on a cooling rack and pour 1 cup frosting on top. Spread evenly with spatula. Add second layer and pour remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Smooth out with spatula.
- Allow frosting to set for a minute and gently press remaining chopped peanut butter cup pieces all over top of cake. Place in refrigerator for about an hour to set. Remove and serve.
This recipe was pirated from the Bakerella blog.