Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Great Surgeon

As modern day Christians I don't think we reflect often enough on how serious our terminal problem of sin is. And when I say terminal, I mean that without the salvation of Jesus Christ, we will die because of the sin that seperates us from God. If you like analogies, here's a good one that just hints at what we're facing...

When seeing the doctor about a problem, we all too often want that doctor to prescribe God pills. He'll say take one morning and night and you should be good to go. Is "curing" our sin that easy though? Some churches and religious organizations make it seem that way, but that isn't an accurate picture of the depravity of our situation as sinners. The conversation we should really be having is that we're facing a life threatening disease; maybe even cancer. It has metastisized and infiltrated every part of our body. It is painful yet we seem to be addicted to that pain. We don't have many days to live and death is guaranteed without intervention. The best news about this bleak situation though is that we have been given the best surgeon around...and for free. His name is Jesus and he has a 100% success rate. He's never made a mistake and once surgery is complete your future life brings eternal hope.

True isn't it? Our sin problem isn't small. No, no, it is far to big for our minds to fathom. There's no 12 step recovery program that can neatly remove sin from our lives. We must see the best surgeon and allow him to intervene and bring us hope. Praise God though that our salvation doesn't depend on our faithfulness in taking pills or following a 12 step recovery program.

"Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she find it, she says, "Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin." In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Praise God for the value he sees in the unsaved, or lost. I am so thankful that my life was turned upside down as God sought after me. And I am thankful that for every lost sinner that turns, and repents, the angels in the halls of heaven are rejoicing with joy. I pray for the lost in my life that they might seek and find the great surgeon so that after a life saving surgery, they may find eternal hope.

No comments: