Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Some Thanksgiving Day humor and gratitude

November is almost past and I have yet to blog.  I keep saying to Kelly that I can hardly believe Thanksgiving is almost here...oh wait, it is here.  Happy Thanksgiving!!  I hope today is spent resting, relaxing and rejoicing.  Yes, rejoicing.  We have so much to be thankful for so I pray that giving thanks and sharing gratitude permeates your day.

We started a new family tradition this year for the month of November.  Each time we have a family dinner we have been recording what we are thankful for on scraps of paper and placing them in a mason jar on our table.  We will read them as a family at the end of the month and then keep them in our family scrapbook as a reminder of God's goodness this year.  We include our meal guests in our tradition so we can also remember that we have many friends to be thankful for too.  Here are a few of the things that I am thankful for this year:

  • I am thankful for my salvation and the relationship I have with Christ.  I am so undeserving but that is why God's grace is so beautiful.  I have learned much this year in my two bible studies on the book of James and Revelation.  Praise God for his "BIGness" and his perfectly timed teaching in my life.
  • I am thankful to be a wife and mom.  My life has changed dramatically from where it was at two years ago but I wouldn't change a thing.  God is refining me through both being a wife and a mother and I am especially grateful that He cares enough to make me better and not leave me where I am at.
  • I am thankful for the life of my grandmother, Myra Joan Meyers.  She passed away a week and a half ago and I can't help but think of all the fun memories I have with her.  She was so full of life, even at 89.  She had a contagious, beautiful laugh that I hope I never forget the sound of.
  • I am thankful for American farmers and ranchers who produce safe, abundant and affordable food for people worldwide.  Enjoy your favorite holiday dishes today and don't forget to lift a prayer of thanksgiving for the hardworking men and women who work day in and day out to bring this yummy food to your table!
And today I leave you with a bit of Thanksgiving humor in this poem:

May your stuffing be tasty,
May your turkey be plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
May your pies take the prize,
May your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!

~Owen K. Lorion

No comments: