HB turned 18 months this past week - toddler-hood can be such a joy and a challenge; and I'm learning to enjoy the good moments because Lord knows a fit is just around the corner. Much like the one pictured below. This young man is getting really good at throwing himself on the floor. These type of fits usually coincide with one of two things - either coming in from playing outside or being hungry. Boy has no patience or grace for momma when his tummy is rumbling.
Our boy is a great eater though and that is a huge blessing. He eats whatever Kelly and I eat and most often he eats it with gusto. We are all about rubbing our peanut butter and jelly in our hair and on our neck. Or our lasagna. Heck, why not rub everything we eat all over our face, head and neck?
At 18 months, here are a few of the fun things our sweet boy can do:
- Starting to form actual words - mama, dada, baby, dirty, go, baa, moo. Oh, wait, the last two are animal sounds.
- Understands simple directions like "pick the toy up" or "give it to baby" or "sit on your bottom" or "go sit in your chair."
- Still loves to cuddle on your lap before bedtime. Usually this is coupled with looking through livestock magazines and making lots of animal noises.
- Helps do chores outside. He is surprisingly strong for someone sub three feet. He tries dragging flakes of hay to the sheep pens or will grab whatever coffee can or bucket of grain he can. He likes to keep it interesting too by randomly moving anything and everything within reach and relocating it. This includes a drench gun, pliers, his own toys, and buckets.
- Mimics mommy in the kitchen by grabbing spoons and bowls and "stirring" whatever he can. He is at the fun height where he can grab things like knives off the counter when his
forgetfultired mommy doesn't move them far enough away from the edge.
- Starting to potty train, although it is going to require more consistency from momma and daddy to actually make this a concrete habit. He has gone number one and two on the toilet, although the number two was more like a lucky save because he was headed for the living room when I made him sit on the toilet!
- He loves to kiss his baby sister. His kisses consist of placing his face on you and making the sound "mm."
- As he grows the phrase "long and lean" comes to mind. He weighed 26 pounds 4 ounces (50th percentile) and measured 34 inches long (90th percentile).
He is definitely a goof ball and loves to laugh. Please note the fire hat on backwards and the Twister game mat on the floor behind him. We have not taught him to play this game yet but he loves to pull it out of the cupboard and drag it around.
HB, we love you so very much little buddy, and are so blessed to call you son. While you occasionally make momma want to pull her hair out, we are both enamored with your charming smile, sweet offers of help and cuddly moments before bed. We can already tell that there will be lots of laughter and fun ahead with you.