Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bruschetta

Whatcha Making Wednesday: Bruschetta

My sweet hubby volunteered to make me dinner during Valentine's week - I appreciated having a night off from dinner prep but I also enjoyed his thoughtfulness as I enter my third trimester.  His menu included steak, corn on the cob and bruschetta.  He made it from memory based on what he helped make at the fire station previously, and since I'm already bragging, I'll have to admit that it was pretty darn good!  I love, love, loved the bruschetta he made (with Brandy's help) and snacked on it for two days after dinner that night.  If you're looking for a quick and easy appetizer or  even want to serve it as a side dish like we did, bruschetta is the way to go!

Hubby didn't follow a formal recipe - but I wanted to share this with you anyway because it was so delicious and I love that he made it for me!  Here's an approximate recipe based on my observations:

1. Toast french bread - either use a griddle or do this in the oven.  Brush bread with butter first.  To save on time, buy the french bread already cut up like hubby did!

2. Dice tomatoes and fresh, minced garlic.  Crumble feta cheese over mixture.  Add a dash of white vinegar, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.  Top toasted bread with tomato mixture.

If you're looking for some type of specific quantities, this Taste of Home recipe is fairly similar (with the exception of the vinegar).  And this Black Peppercorn recipe is also similar but uses lemon juice instead of vinegar for a splash of acidity.

What is your "go to" appetizer that you like to make at home?

No comments: