Whatcha Making Wednesday: Loaded Baked Potato Chowder
Recipe courtesy of Pampered Chef
- 3 large baking potatoes (roughly 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese (you can omit this if you want to make a lighter version)
- 2 T butter
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (4 ounces give or take...we did way more!)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (I added this amount but think it needs a little more next time I make it)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Optional toppings: chopped bacon, sour cream
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Place in a microwave safe dish that has a lid (you can use the Deep Covered Baker or Rock and Crok here if you have them). Pour 1/2 cup milk over potatoes. Microwave on HIGH for 11 minutes and test potatoes for doneness by sticking them with a fork! If they need more time, rotate potatoes from top to bottom, or outside of dish to inside and cook on HIGH another 8-11 minutes. Coarsely mash potatoes (with the Mix'N chop if you have it).
- Whisk cream cheese until smooth. Add remaining 3 cups milk whisking until smooth. Add mixture to potatoes. Microwave on HIGH 3-5 minutes or until hot.
- Remove from microwave. Ladle chowder into bowls and top with green onion, chopped bacon and shredded cheese.
Note: I cooked one pound of bacon in the oven (375 for 40 minutes for crispy bacon) two days before I made this recipe and then used the bacon in three different meals - twice for breakfast and then this dinner meal. Now that I have two children and have found that the dinner hour can be uber stressful so I try to cook once and then use that material several times if possible. Case in point - the bacon for this recipe. I also do this often with ground beef.