Whatcha Making Wednesday: Cream Cheese Meltaways with Lemon Glaze
Recipe from: either Southern Living or Cooking Light
I don't know about you, but lemon is one of my favorite tastes when spring rolls around. Hubby planted a lemon tree in our front yard long before it was "ours" and I can now enjoy the fruits of his labor almost year round as we juice the lemons and freeze the concentrate for lemonade and baking. I've been meaning to try this recipe for a few years now but it's always one of those recipes that I am missing an ingredient for. I had everything yesterday though and so the baking commenced. The cookies themselves were okay but the lemon glaze is what made them for me!
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, cornstarch and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, butter, cream cheese, and vanilla in large bowl by mixing on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Make sure not to handle the dough too much while forming the balls or they will become heavy and dense.
4. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until bottoms of cookie are brown. Cool completely on wire racks.
5. To prepare galze: combine remaining powdered sugar with lemon juice, whisking until smooth. Dip tops of cookies in glaze; let cookies stand 30 minutes or until glaze is set.
Yield: approximately 36 cookies
I had extra glaze leftover so I am going to use it to glaze a lemon bread today! Yum:)