Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Green Chile Cornbread

Whatcha Making Wednesday: Green Chile Cornbread

A few of my favorite recipes come from my mother-in-law and this recipe is included in that group.  If you've ever had a spoonbread you'll think it similar to this.  I love it when I ask my MIL to write down a recipe for me - she kind of laughs and then starts estimating what the portion size of the ingredients list is.  She always uses a little of this, and a little of that, so her recipes are very adaptable.  In my opinion this makes a tasty, quick side dish for Mexican food or any type of grilled meat.  Plus it is very kiddo friendly - HB loves this and when I served it last week he utilized his newly acquired skill of pointing and grunting "oohh."

Mix the following ingredients together and baked at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  (I realize that is a huge span of time but it is largely variable depending on how deep your dish is.  The shallower your pan, the shorter the time and vice versa.)

2 cans cream style corn
1 can diced greeen chiles (or 1/3 cup if you roast your own)
1 t baking powder
3/4 t garlic salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 - 1 cup corn meal
1 cup (or a good handful) of cheddar cheese
2 eggs

No comments: